1884-1891 – St. John the Baptist School, West 21st Street and O’Neil Avenue
1886-1933 – Academy of the Holy Child of Jesus, East 24th Street and Central Avenue (Sister of the Holy Child of Jesus staff school)
1933-1952 – St Mary’s Academy (Dominican Sisters of Sinsinawa, Wisconsin begin staffing school)
1938 – New and seperate building for the high school constructed
1952 – New grade school building constructed
1952 – Name changed to St. Mary’s School
1981 – St. Mary’s Catholic High School closes and reopens as Seton Catholic High School (Dominican Sisters cease staffing the school)
1991– Seton Catholic High School closes
2004 – St. Mary’s School Foundation established
2009 – New St. Mary’s Catholic School built, West 22nd Street and on O’Neil Avenue
2021 – School Bond paid off
Memories from the Decades
1930’s Saw the change from St. Mary’s Academy to St. Mary’s High School. The mascot was originally called “Bronco’s” but in 1934 “Gales” became the permanent name; named after a team from St. Mary’s in California, recalls Betty Schroll Class of 1938.
1940’s First radio broadcast of a football game by Curt Gowdy between St. Marys and Pine Bluffs.
1942 The New St. Mary’s High School opened.
1950’s – Aug 31, 1952 Bishop Newell dedicated the new facilities, built to accommodate 1,000 students. Tearing down of old Holy Child Academy building.
1960’s Dedication of the high school chapel in 1960 and gymnasium in 1964. Possibly the largest class to graduate from St. Mary’s High School was the class of 1968 with 88 students.
1970’s Football State Champions with a record of 10-0.
1980’s – 1981 said goodbye to the Dominican Sisters and saw the close of St. Mary’s High School. Later that year, Seton High School, a tri-parish high school was established.
1990’s – Seton Catholic High School closed in 1991. Elementary School continues for grades K-6
2009 – A brand new facility for St. Mary’s Elementary School is opened on O’Neill Ave.