1884-1891 St. John the Baptist School located in an old church building with 100 students
1885 Land purchased on 24th and 24th St and Central and Warren Ave.
1886-1933 Academy of the Holy Child of Jesus established school moved to 19th and Carey Ave
1933-1952 St Mary’s Academy
1938-1981 St. Mary’s High School
1949 Msgr. Hartmann arranged for a new convent to be built and in October, plans were launched for a new grade school.
1952-2008 St. Mary’s Grade School
1981 St. Mary's High School closes and reopens as a tri-parish school in the name of Seton Catholic High School
1981-1991 Seton Catholic High School
1991 After 10 years of existence Seton Catholic High School closes due to low enrollment.
2009-Present St. Mary’s Catholic School
Memories from the Decades
1930’s Saw the change from St. Mary’s Academy to St. Mary’s High School. The mascot was originally called “Bronco’s” but in 1934 “Gales” became the permanent name; named after a team from St. Mary’s in California, recalls Betty Schroll Class of 1938.
1940’s First radio broadcast of a football game by Curt Gowdy between St. Marys and Piine Bluffs.
1942 The New St. Mary’s High School opened.
1950’s – Aug 31, 1952 Bishop Newell dedicated the new facilities, built to accommodate 1,000 students. Tearing down of old Holy Child Academy building.
1960’s Dedication of the high school chapel in 1960 and gymnasium in 1964. Possibly the largest class to graduate from St. Mary’s High School was the class of 1968 with 88 students.
1970’s Football State Champions with a record of 10-0.
1980’s – 1981 said goodbye to the Dominican Sisters and saw the close of St. Mary’s High School. Later that year, Seton High School, a tri-parish high school was established.1990’s – Seton Catholic High School closed in 1991. Elementary School continues for grades K-8