5th Grade Curriculum
The reading, English, spelling and phonics subjects are integrated and provide for great review and reinforcement of concepts.
Fifth Grade Reading, Students will:
- Expand vocabulary and improve reading comprehension.
- Examine story structure.
- Explore language conventions: parts of speech, capitalization, use of punctuation, etc.
- Study prefixes and suffixes.
- Read and summarize selected pieces of literature.
- Explore Main Idea, Predicting Outcomes, Using Graphic Aids.
Fifth Grade Spelling and Phonics, Students will:
- Use the spelling series Spelling Connection by Zaner Bloser.
- Understand how words are grouped according to spelling patterns.
- Understand how words are used in analogies and context.
- Use the Word Study by Modern Curriculum Press.
Fifth Grade English, Students will study:
- Parts of Speech
- Forms of Writing
- Personal Narratives
- Writing Instructions
- Writing Letters
- Public Speaking
- Research Paper (State Report)
Fifth Grade Mathematics, the Student will explore and develop skills in the following subjects:
- Place value through billions
- Addition, Subtraction, Multiplication and Division of Larger Numbers
- Addition, Subtraction, Multiplication and Division of Fractions
- Probability and Statistics
Fifth Grade Religion, the Student will:
- Explore the Sacraments.
- Understand the Parts of the Mass.
- Examine how as Christians we love and serve God.
Fifth Grade Social Studies, Students will explore the following topics:
- The Early Americans
- The Period of Exploration
- The Period of Colonization
- The Early Colonies
- The Revolutionary War
- The Constitution
Fifth Grade Science, the Student will explore the following topics in Life Science:
- Comparing living things
- Reproduction and change
- Ecology of the Rain Forest
- Cycles – Water, Nitrogen, Carbon Dioxide-Oxygen
Fifth Grade Science, the Student will explore the following topics in Physical Science:
- Classifying matter
- Investigating motion
- Forms of energy
- Electrical energy
Students will also study the Solar System, and will attend Star Base Academy.
Overview: The St. Mary’s School Music Curriculum is standard for all grade levels. These standards are to be included as part of the teaching process in elementary general music and middle school music to accomplish the assessment of the five competencies in musical skills. They are aligned with both the national and statewide standards.
Fifth Grade Music, the Student Will:
- Sing or play on instruments a varied repertoire of music. This includes appropriate technique, accurate pitches and rhythms with the proper range and degree of difficulty.
- Create music.
- Read and notate music. The includes reading, identifying and executing rhythms, melodies and expressive qualities with very easy literature in regards to key, meter, rhythm and range.
- Listen to, analyze, evaluate and describe music used in the classroom.
- Relate music to various historical and cultural traditions.
- Become more beatful, tuneful and artful, by following the 12 steps of Music Literacy designed by Dr. John M. Feierabend.
- Readiness rote Song Songs and rhymes are learned by rote that will contain rhythm and/or tonal content to be studied later.
- Conversation Solfege Rote where students bond rhythm and tonal patterns with aural labels.
- Decode – Familiar which requires aural recall and decoding of songs and rhymes presented by rote at the Readiness stage.
- Decode – Unfamiliar.
- Create – Think original musical thoughts.
- Reading Rote – Introduction to notation symbols.
- Reading Decode – Familiar.
- Reading Decode – Unfamiliar.
- Writing Rote – Learn to write notation.
- Writing Decode – Familiar.
- Writing Decode – Unfamiliar.
- Writing Create or Composition.
- Be introduced to hymns and repertoire of the Catholic Church to be sung at prayer service and weekly Thursday Mass.
- Perform at least one concert per year.
Students at St. Mary’s Catholic School may begin either a band or a string instrument in 4th grade. In the 4th and 5th grade instrumentalists programs, the goals are:
- Holding instrument correctly
- Good body position
- Identify parts of instrument and proper care of instrument
- Concert Bb scale (band); Concert D scale (strings)
- Correct articulation (tonguing) (bowing)
- Good citizenship by playing cooperatively
- Good practicing habits
- Performance opportunities
- Veteran’s Day, Christmas, Solo and ensemble festival, Composition recital, Weekly masses
Fifth Grade Physical Education, the Student Will:
- Enjoy participating in physical activity.
- Demonstrate cooperation with others.
- Show respect for persons of like and different skill levels.
- Accept and respect the decisions made by officials.
- Monitor heart rate before, during and after activity.
- Demonstrate accuracy in throwing, striking, volleying and dribbling.
At St. Mary’s Catholic School, we strive to create an artistic atmosphere where students gain confidence and creativity through hands-on experience. We offer a variety of artistic media to inspire our students. We encouraging them to explore their imagination and use math and reading skills in their projects.
Fifth Grade students study portfolio design, shape drawing, letter, placement, three-dimensional letters, color value, collage drawing, design drawing, holiday drawings, individual studies, line, shape, value, texture, space, form, color, repetition, balance, emphasis, contrast, and unity.